Thursday, October 9, 2008

derty vs greyscale markers

Arrgghh... i've been struggling with the technique(s?) greyscale markering requires. I tried doing several technical exercises -- spheres, other 3D objects -- and a portrait. All looked like pure and complete shit. I think they were so bad because i didn't realize you had to saturate the area being shaded... the hatching look i think is cool... kinda impressionist-like. That being said, I still haven't figured out how to do an entire drawing with it. So i did the saturation method and i have a drawing that isn't very good, but i'm proud that i am slowly conquering greyscale markers! HA! So, to exmplify the progress i am making, i'm uploading the shit drawings I did back in... August? July? i'm not sure... as well as the one i am kind of happy with. enjoy, my non-blog-readers.

In other news, i'm not drawing my old muse anymore for fear of the black stitches holding my heart together bursting open, allowing heartblood to flow out, ruining (or enhancing?) the drawing anyway.... oh, and killing me.

So! onto bigger and better things :D life is pretty damn good right now and though it took some time, i'm happy to be drawing again and hope to do a lot more. BLAM!

A terrible first attempt

Realizing i need technical practice...

I kinda like the hatching

One more try... you can see the frustration...

Alice, Crystal Castles

1 comment:

jan said...

I can't say I know how to work greyscale markers either, but your last drawing + the hatching i like!! Your stuff is pretty great dude. it's got an honest quality.

thanks for the bday wishes on facebook, hope your fam is doing okay too! happy chinese new year!